Code Craft is my first book about software development. It's published by No Starch Press and is available from all good bookstores.
You can get a taste of it online from this Google books page.
The official No Starch Press page for the book is here.
What's it about?
You know how to write code that works, but what about code that's well written and easy to understand? And robust and bug-free? If other programmers looked at your handiwork, would they be able to figure out the code's logic and purpose? Exceptional programmers have more than just technical know-how; they adopt the right approach and attitude to development.
Code Craft will help take your programming beyond writing correct code to writing great code, thus turning you into a true programming professional or enhancing your existing professional skills.
With language-agnostic advice that's relevant to all developers, Code Craft covers code-writing concerns such as presentation style, variable naming, error handling, and security. And it tackles broader, real-world programming issues like effective teamwork, development processes, and documentation. Each chapter ends with a Q&A section that reviews key concepts to get you thinking like an expert, making it an especially great reference for newer programmers who want to work professionally and efficiently as part of a team.
This survival guide for the software factory will show you how to:
• Write good code when the world's not helping you
• Avoid disasters and distractions in the workplace
• Assess your abilities accurately and determine ways to improve
• Adopt productive attitudes and follow best practices
There's little more valuable than the advice of a true, programming professional. You'll find Code Craft to be clear, practical, and entertaining throughout, and a great way to take your code (and your career) to the next level.
What people are saying
- "Some books you read because you have to, some you simply have to read. Pete's book is in the second category – it's useful and fun and it'll make you a better programmer." Jez Higgins, ACCU Chairman
- "Code Craft is a goldmine of information that every professional software developer should be aware of." Tim Penhey, editor of C Vu Journal
Read the reviews on the publisher's website.